Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Love Affair With Photography

Everyone’s in love with something. Hence, the need for a hobby to keep one’s mind sane.

Hi, my name is Julio Luis Rodriguez Munar, currently 23 years old, and I’m in love with the art of taking photos.

This affair started when the family bought a Canon Ixus digital camera sometime around 2006. Whenever I had the chance to bring the digicam with me, I always took photos of things that may seem mundane at first but will look more interesting in a different angle. That was my first kiss with the art of photography.

After spending some quality time with the point and shoot camera, I felt strained with the Ixus’ (I forgot the specific model since it was a couple of years ago) limited manual controls. I wished back then it had a viewfinder, a stabilizer for its lens and a useable ISO range for some low-light action. Since a Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR) was way out of my reach, the only logical choice for me to drool on was a super-zoom prosumer camera like what Sony was offering in their H-series.

Then 2008 came along and a chance to really have a true DSLR camera was in my grasp.

A friend of mine was selling his Nikon D40x kit because he needed funds to pay for his apartment. Of course, the parents were doubtful at first due to a couple of cellphones and cameras my sisters lost in the last couple of years. The only choice I had was to play the requirement card.

I carefully explained to the parents how much my sister needs a working camera because she needed one for her college course. Plus, I said how the family needs a camera to capture memories and other kinds of flowery words to convince them we needed one. My gambit paid off and I finally had a Nikon D40x, coupled with an 18-55 kit lens, in my hands to learn from.

Two years after playing with my Nikon D40x, whom I christened Nicole, I felt the need to step up. That’s where the Nikon D90 came into the picture. Months of saving and deliberately ditching a number of drinking sessions with my friends finally found its fruit. I’ve upgraded to a Nikon D90 (her name’s Francesca) with a 50mm 1.8 Nifty Fifty prime lens to better meet my photographic demands. Life was indeed sweet.

Since this hobby costs a lot of moolah and it would be really wrong to indulge into it without any financial benefit, my friends and I decided to make money out of it. It was the logical decision since photography is a common passion of ours and we intend to learn more from it. With that thought in our minds, we came up with our own company – Mad Minds Photography.

A couple of projects and a number of additional gear later, I find myself in front my office workstation documenting what I’ve experienced all this time.

Three months into the business and we’re learning more and more everyday about the wonderful world of photography. Thanks to our undying passion, DSLRs and the chance to take photos of wonderful people and their respective events, we’ve been falling deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole we’re in right now. And the great thing about this whole thing is we’re having fun while we’re falling deeper into the hole we all decided to jump in. As such, this is where the blog comes in.

In this blog, you’re gonna find out what it feels like for a photography enthusiast to start a business and meet the demands that the universe throws his way. You’re gonna read everything about photography and its corresponding gear, their respective reviews and how they actually handle in the field. You’re gonna discover what to do and more importantly, what NOT to do the moment you take your first step into this wonderful world. Heaven knows you need not make the same mistakes I and my friends did when we were still learning the ropes of the business.

If you’re in love with something and that particular something is photography, bookmark me and I’ll keep you updated with how I and the Mad Minds navigate the inner workings of this crazy world.

No comments:

Post a Comment